can they see the threads fraying?

can they feel this body dying
all around them?
i can


sometimes this is all
i can feel
the loss of another day another
second slipping
its hand around my throat


lines forming-
cycles circles- 
clocks 
ticking.
oblivious
of the meaning


                        birth
               school       work
           death                  birth
                school       work
                       death


friends & family
negation


congregation
as we awaken &
question:


entropy
just above my eyes
atrophying compassion
apathy as an offering


god
i can see it 
fading
i focus on it 
closing


i beg the bleak question 
of mortality
i search the books
i read to my children


which so brilliantly
brought it to my attention
in the sheer enjoyment


& endless 
carefree abandon
written on their 
fresh faces


the secret is there
in simple amazement


Do we stop playing when we grow old,  
or only grow old when we stop playing?



6 comments:

  1. Subtle thoughts
    without easy answers,
    but well expressed in the lines
    that fall across this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. The older I get how much more I feel the cycle of life of birth, school,work,death. I would like to think we never stop playing no matter how old we get. Beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yesterday leaving the theater with my children (the hunger games, second viewing, first viewing with my fiance's children, how i cried no less) my son and i danced and strutted down the hall toward the exit and then into McDonald's and then out of McDonald's. how these simple moments teach me what delight is possible when we shed our fear of others. it will remain one of my best memories ever, to engage in such playful joy aside the pain of violence we witnessed.

    can they see the threads fraying? if they don't, they are not looking, but inside of the loss of every damn thing, alongside the grief, is the joy too.)

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. (if they don't see then they purposely avert their eyes...)
    Grief & joy make strange companions but walk hand in hand I guess.
    I haven't seen the film yet. I did read the books. My wife actually bought them for me as an x-mas present. I was a little skeptical, but soon I was swept away by the story and had finished the whole trilogy in a little over a week or so(abandoning all household chores, and multi-slacking on the job).

    thanks:)

    ReplyDelete